Soul Wisdom Therapy – Davis and Sacramento, CA
After a difficult childhood that included the divorce of my parents, I looked forward to leaving home and being my own person. Once on my own, though, I felt an emptiness, despite my new marriage and the promise of the life I wanted. I divorced after only two years, realizing I was not ready to be a partner and parent. In my early thirties I remarried, but I still felt an emptiness inside, which led me to Eastern spirituality and meditation.
A few mystical experiences opened doors to a deeper connection with my core self, or soul wisdom. After receiving an MA in transpersonal psychology (focuses on integration of mind, body, and soul/spirit.), I began serious study with a handful of Eastern-oriented spiritual teachers and I also immersed myself in the mystical elements of Judaism and Christianity. Today, my spiritual practice includes meditation, yoga, spiritual retreats, and being in nature whenever I can.
Because of my personal work with my own issues, I chose to specialize in areas that were a part of my own healing journey. For example, I work with eating disorders and anxiety because I struggled with binge eating and anxiety and did my own healing through work with a psychotherapist. I enjoy working on marriage and relationship issues because my husband and I found immense help in couples counseling.
I bring a profound connection with my “soul wisdom” to my work. This intuitive knowing informs the deep work I do as I help you discover your own soul wisdom and inner guidance. I love what I do and believe in being present, grounded, compassionate and nonjudgmental with my clients.
I promise that I will fully attend to you and your needs and goals for counseling. Working with me, you will discover your own path to soul wisdom, inner strength and new possibilities.
You should know that I have an assistant who comes to my therapy offices most days to assist me with my work: Dr. Maxwell Katz. Dr Katz, (he goes by “Max the Cat”), assists me through using meditation and hypnotherapy. He is usually seen with his eyes closed, sending healing energy to my clients. Don´t let some yawns and stretches fool you. He may sit fairly close to you but note that he will not touch you, and he won´t get too close if you have any allergies.
- Trauma recovery
- Sexual abuse recovery
- Grief and loss
- Chronic pain and illness
- Eating disorders
- Couples and pre-marital counseling
Certifications and Experience:
- Over 24 years experience as a psychotherapist
- Certified in Life coaching, EMDR, I-Rest Teaching, Trauma Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and hypnotherapy
- Finishing 3 year certification in Somatic Experiencing
- Working towards certification in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples and Families
- Have led the Awakening to Spirit Meditation Group in Sacramento and Davis for 15 years
- Extensive training in Brainspotting
- Certified in group psychotherapy through the American Group Psychotherapy Association
- Serve on the professional team of complementary health practitioners of the Sacramento Sutter Downtown Integrative Health in Sacramento and the Sutter Davis Integrative Health Center in Davis. (link is http://www.checksutterfirst.org/integrativehealth/index.php )
- Member of the Northern California Group Psychotherapy Society, the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, the EMDR International Association, and the Association of Comprehensive Energy Psychology.
- Over 30 years of extensive study with spiritual teachers and mystics.
Extensive training in energy psychotherapy methods, eating disorder therapy, EMDR, and trauma-related therapies.
M.A. in Transpersonal Psychology from John F. Kennedy University
Masters of Public Health (MPH) from University of South Florida
Start Your Journey to Soul Wisdom Today—
Contact Me to Schedule Your Initial Complimentary Phone Consultation
Deborah Cohen, M.A., M.P.H., LMFT
Phone: (916) 491-1216
or (916) 389-2800, ext. 1